Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The One & Only Jane Austen

Let's get this party started! I thought it would be kinda fun to begin with my first posts featuring a short list of authors I love. Five authors who's books are a sure thing as far as I'm concerned.

The one and only - Jane Austen. Oh how happy you make me!!! I love Ms. Austen for so many reasons. She makes me laugh, swoon, cry and sometimes cringe. It's easy to identify with her characters because they are so real and so totally flawed. If I HAD to pick my favorite novel that she penned it would probably be Pride and Prejudice (with Sense and Sensibility at a close second). I first fell in love with P&P and all things Austen when Colin Firth (hubba-hubba) was cast as Mr. Darcy in the A&E film adaptation (and when I saw his beautiful grounds at Pemberly). I was a gonner! Jane Austen's books are now parodied to the point where it's getting a bit insane. One can hardly keep up with all the new releases, but I'm not complaining. This summer I was both disgusted and entertained by Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's a great way to get your Mr. Darcy fix while laughing out loud as bloodthirsty zombies attack Mr. Collins! It was a goal of mine this summer to read all of Jane's books, but alas it was not meant to be. I did, however, finish P&P, S&S and Persuasion. After finishing Persuasion I had a hankerin' to watch the A&E version. Man those people are NOT attractive, the teeth and moles disturb, but it's still a great show that captures the angst I felt from the novel. I know, I know, this is technically a book review, but one cannot love Jane's books without loving the movies that go with them. All I know is that when the day is grey and I'm feeling a little blue, all I have to do is open one of her novels or pop in one of the many A&E films and everything is looking a little brighter!

P.S. Other Austen-esque novels I have read and enjoyed are The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, Austenland and the series An Assembly Such as This(from Darcy's view).

5 comments:

  1. I (Stephen) have not read the books, but the A&E movie is amazing! Debbie loves the book and will have to sink her teeth into the Zombie version! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeedy. Jane Austen and all the copycats rule. Do you remember our "Sense & Sensibility" obsession? Oh, wait. That never ended. Brings to mind Dave's halting impression of poor Edward--"ah, Miss Dashwood...." Good stuff.

    Sounds so cliche to admit it but, yes, P&P is my go-to novel, always within reach of my bedside. Somehow the story, the language, the social commentary, the sentence structure (not to mention the love story) bring sense and comfort to my crazy, modern life.

    "Zombies" was fun, though I wish the author had actually taken more liberties with the story. For readers such as ourselves who have basically memorized the original, having the author use mostly Austen's text was a bit of a bore. With that said, Wickham gets everything he deserves in this version, and it's quite a bit more satisfying that way.

    In the battle of P&P film versions, I vote A&E. Daryl votes Keira Knightly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve and Tami, you guys ROCK! I laughed out loud remembering Dave's Edward impression. He'll be so pleased that you mentioned it on the world wide web! Tell Daryl that I have lost a tiny bit of respect for him today. Just a tiny bit:) Jane truly is the best remedy for the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED the NEW Masterpiece theatre version of Sense and Sensibility. If you haven't seen it and you want to get your heart beating....Oh, yes, rent it or buy it!!!
    Marni
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/senseandsensibility/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget Mr. Darcy... I'm in love with Robynn!!

    ReplyDelete